After we moved out and the back wall came down it was all systems go in the front half of the house.
7 tonne of fill was wheelbarrowed in and compacted to fill the big hole left by the ripped up floors.
The plumbers came the next day to install the underfloor for the ensuite, kitchen and laundry.
I’d been tossing up the whole time whether to have an extra sink and/or dishwasher in the pantry. Of course I was still unsure when the plumber was there!
I decided to put a pipe in there so in the coming weeks when the cabinetry plans are worked on, I can confirm it.
It’s too late to change my mind if I say no now!
I’ve learned it doesn’t hurt to make provisions for future additions at this stage – it’s a lot cheaper and easier to have pipes or wires in the walls/floor/ceiling now than add them later.
It’s like The Block now with up to 6 different trades on site every day, and I feel like The Bachelorette with them vying for my time to answer questions! Haha!!
I love every single minute of it though. This process has made me realise how much I’ve missed the building industry and how I’d love to do this every single day. There really is something about a renovation – seeing the old become new again, and new spaces form is so thrilling.
The laundry window got cut out and fitted and Renoboy’s old window was replaced. The laundry to garage door frame was also fitted and boarded up until the door can be installed. Only the ensuite window to go before all the old windows and doors are gone which is great.
Insulation to the internal walls, ceiling and external walls for the extension was fitted, followed by gyprocking and flushing.
I also met with the air conditioning guy to run through the ducted design. His plan was altered in the living/dine due to the future pendants and skylights. I also requested to use slimline vents in that area which look really nice.
The air con quote was actually under budget, whoop whoop (hasn’t happened often).
The footings were poured in the original section, tying into the addition and blending into the original timber hallway. The builder worked til 9pm that night skimming the concrete to get the levels right.
Timber frames quickly went up for the pantry/study/laundry and the ensuite/robe. While setting up the framing for the pantry/study area, we decided to steal 500mm depth from the study to increase the pantry. Glad we did cos the pantry was looking pretty tight.
2 Velux skylights were fitted to the living/dine area. Their location was limited to within the trusses and avoiding other beams and gas lines. Once the holes were cut in the ceiling for them though, I could see they were off centre, and one would be right in the way of the dining downlights and pendant. I decided the best thing would be to only have ONE skylight centred between the living and dining area in line with the bifold door.
Meanwhile, outside the texturecoating was completed ready for painting.
And while all this goes on on site, I’m madly running around checking out kitchen benchtops and tiles, and choosing render colour:
I can’t believe how much I’m procrastinating over these things! I know what I want, but when it comes to confirming between two possible choices I worry too much about making the wrong choice. The stupid thing is, either choice would be great, but I’m so anal about it being the “perfect” choice that I stress myself to despair!
Even more ridiculous is I can select finishes for other people swiftly and definitively but struggle for myself.
At the risk of sounding like Julia on The Block, “I’m so overwhelmed right now!” lol!!